Popular Destination Wedding Dates and Seasons
Choosing a wedding date is one of the most important and exciting parts of having a destination wedding! There is much to consider when making this decision. When are you and your 20+ guests available to travel? How far in advance will your guests need notice? What will the resort’s atmosphere be like during the time you choose? Is there a budget you are hoping to stay within, and what wedding features would you like included in your budget? Consider the following as you find your perfect wedding date!
Destination Wedding Seasonality
Resorts will differ depending on the season you choose to travel. High season is the busiest time of the year, low season is the least busy time of the year, and shoulder season fluctuates between the two. Costs are affected by and correlate with the time of year and season you choose. Different amenities the resort offers, such as availability of beach and pool space, or having to make reservations at the restaurants will vary depending on how busy the resort is as well. Some resorts even offer free packages during the slower months every year. Weather patterns change depending on location and season, but it is important to know that these countries are warm year round!
Other Things to Keep in Mind
Hosting your wedding around a national or religious holiday may give your guests more availability to travel and take off work, but be mindful that many people also make other plans around holidays. Many resorts have blackout dates in which the resort is observing a U.S. or country-specific national holiday when they will not host weddings or special events.
Do you want a wedding date that is personal to you and your loved one? Imagine how romantic it would be to get married on your anniversary or the date you first met. Although this may be a special date to you and your fiance, many hotels limit the weddings they host per day. It is recommended to book a special date like this 12 – 18 months in advance.
- All-inclusive resorts will typically NOT host weddings on New Year’s Eve, as any event staff will be dedicated to supporting the NYE festivities.
- Group concessions, such as free stays and free events, are blacked out during certain holidays depending on the hotel.
- Many resorts require a minimum stay of 4 – 7 nights for every guest during holidays.
- Certain countries participate in “quiet hours” during particular holidays, such as Easter, so outside excursions may not be available or may have limited hours.
- Special dates include your anniversary date and auspicious dates like 09/09/19 or 09/09/29.