Choosing a wedding date is one of the most important and exciting parts of having a destination wedding! There is much to consider when making this decision. When are you and your guests available to travel? How far in advance will your guests need notice? What will the resort’s atmosphere be like during the time you choose? Is there a budget you are hoping to stay within, and what wedding features would you like included in your budget? Consider the following as you find your perfect wedding date!
Resorts will differ depending on the season you choose to travel. High season is the busiest time of the year, low season is the least busy time of the year, and shoulder season fluctuates between the two. Costs are affected by and correlate with the time of year and season you choose. Different amenities the resort offers, such as availability of beach and pool space, or having to make reservations at the restaurants will vary depending on how busy the resort is as well. Some resorts even offer free packages during the slower months every year. Weather patterns change depending on location and season, but it is important to know that these countries are warm year round!
High – average of 16 – 25% more compared to shoulder or low season.
It is recommended to book your stay 9 + months in advance as resorts have the potential to sell out.
Resorts will have higher occupancy during these months. They tend to be more crowded depending on the size of the resort. Family-friendly resorts may have higher amounts of children. It is important to note that spring break is in March and April, so during these months certain resorts may be more active.
– Holidays operate as high-season dates, and certain dates for wedding ceremonies can fill quickly. – During this season, most people will have time off of work during months with holidays or when schools are on break, so you can have more family and friends attend your wedding! – When hotels are at high occupancy, they are less likely to offer early check-in or late checkout.
– Valentine’s Day: Feb. 14 – Dominican Republic Independence Day: Feb. 27 – Easter: Apr. 1, 2019 and Apr. 21, 2020 – U.S. Independence Day: July 4
Moderate – average of 16% savings compared to high season and an average of 12% more compared to low season.
It is recommended to book your stay 6 + months in advance, but booking further in advance could provide you with more room category options and better rates.
There will be a moderate amount of other guests on the resort’s property and a large number of activities available. Family-friendly resorts may have more children on the property.
– Due to lower occupancy than high season, you will have more wedding venue options and flexibility for your wedding. – Holidays, such as Memorial Day and Veterans day, allow for an extra day off from work for your guests.
– Hanukkah: Dec. 2-10, 2018 and Dec. 22-30, 2019 – Thanksgiving: Nov. 22, 2018 and Nov. 28, 2019 – Christmas Eve: Dec. 24 – Christmas Day: Dec. 25 – New Year’s Eve: Dec. 31 – New Year’s Day: Jan. 1
Low – average of 25% savings compared to high season and 12% savings when compared to shoulder season.
It is recommended to book your stay 4 – 6+ months in advance during this season.
Resorts will be more calm during this time due to low occupancy rates.
– This season is more budget friendly. – Check-in time is 3pm. During this season, an early check-in is more likely due to the occupancy rates. – Schools are typically in session, so children will make up a lower percentage of guests.
– Jamaican Independence Day: August 6 every year – Labor Day: September 2, 2019 and September 7, 2020 – Mexican Independence Day: September 16 every year
Hosting your wedding around a national or religious holiday may give your guests more availability to travel and take off work, but be mindful that many people also make other plans around holidays. Many resorts have blackout dates in which the resort is observing a U.S. or country-specific national holiday when they will not host weddings or special events. Do you want a wedding date that is personal to you and your loved one? Imagine how romantic it would be to get married on your anniversary or the date you first met. Although this may be a special date to you and your fiance, many hotels limit the weddings they host per day. It is recommended to book a special date like this 9 – 12 months in advance.
You can learn more about planning using our destination wedding timeline.
Group concessions, such as free stays and free events, are blacked out during certain holidays depending on the hotel.
Many resorts require a minimum stay of 4 – 7 nights for every guest during holidays.
Certain countries participate in “quiet hours” during particular holidays, such as Easter, so outside excursions may not be available or may have limited hours.
Special dates include your anniversary date and auspicious dates like 08/08/18 or 09/09/19.